Yes
Our Story

Our Story

Early in 1906 a group of Geraldine residents decided it was a good idea to establish a golf club. On March 20th 1907 a meeting was convened and Geraldine Golf Club was formed. A piece of land was leased on the corner of Tripp Street and Pye Road.

This was the home of the golf club for the first 28 years. It became clear to members that the ground was often too wet to play and a more suitable venue was sought and in due course land was leased where the course is now situated. The land was 7kms from Geraldine on the Orari Back Road. The course was oficially opened on 30th March 1935.The course was named "Denfield" as a tribute to one of our founding members G.N.Fielden.

The club grew slowly and steadily and in 1953 the property was purchased. An extensive rogramme of tree planting, mainly pines and ornamental trees took place. From that point on many changes and improvements took place until we have the well established course we see today.

Denfield, being situated more or less in the middle of the South Island has played host to many regional and national tournaments. For 25 years the South Island Railways held their tournament here and in 2021 it will host the NZ Senior Women's Foursomes. These tournaments have brought revenue to the club and the surrounding area and township. The club gained an enviable reputation for its hospitality and provided a challenge to golfers of all abilities.

The club had a strong voluntary and monetary contribution from past and present members. An irrigation system was installed and the clubhouse extended to seat 150. Both these major projects were undertaken by voluntary help using the members skills and expertise to get the work completed.

In March 2007 the club celebrated its centenary. To celebrate the occasion a new dry stone wall was built at the entrance to the club.

 

Entranceway erected to mark the occasion of the club's centenary in March 2007